"God Bless the Dream, the Dreamer and the Result." 

Tuesday, December 18, 2007

30 Days To Meet a Guy….Part 2

Written by: Lisa Minns
Edited by: Julia Wolfe
Joboja Staff Writers

If you read Part 1 of my saga, you know I’m taking Cosmopolitan’s 30 Days To Meet a Guy for a test run. In Part 1 I put to use their advice on days 1-10. This time we’re working with days 11-20.

Day 11-Chat up at least three hot babes. Making small talk with a guy in the elevator or a sexy waiter will help you open up and practice your flirting skills. I pretty much don’t hold back; I talk to everyone. I seem to have that disease where a thought comes to mind and I don’t put it through the internal filter that most people seem to have (except me). The thoughts just come out of my mouth.

Then I see the look on the person’s face that I’m talking to and I realize I said that thought outloud. Ooops. Ok, so for today, I decided to continue talking to everyone, yet figure out how to get an internal filter for my thoughts. Is there a store that sells that? Maybe I’ll practice on friends first. Hmm…Got an email from waiter boy yesterday asking me to dinner. Haven’t heard from him in a long time. Could be good practice.

Day 12-By now, you should have gotten a few responses to that "looking for men" email you sent on the first day of your mission. Ask those who wrote back to give interested guys your number. You would think this would have happened by now, right? Nope. None of my friends knew a single soul to even suggest to me. Note to self…expand circle of friends as soon as possible.

Day 13-Remember that guy from kickboxing? Go again and say, "Hey, how are you?" as if you're old friends. Research shows people are more attracted to those who are familiar to them. This is true, but isn’t it also kind of creepy when someone acts like they’ve known you forever and yet you swear that you’ve never met? Plus, as I stated in Part 1…yes, I take a lot of classes at the gym. In general, the classes are full of women and if there is a man there, he isn’t interested in the women. Yet another note to self…when the next schedule comes out in January, see if there are new classes that fit into my time schedule. See, I’m trying!!!

Day 14-Go to the park with a friend and toss around a football, but overshoot so it lands near a handsome guy. Apologize and ask if he'd like to join your game. Or when a contender walks by with his dog, lob Fido a tennis ball so he'll bring it back, master in tow. Sounds like an awesome plan, but we don’t really have many parks around here. However, I am on my way to the beach and I could switch from my normal spot to the other end to the activity area. That’s where sports like football, surfings, windsurfing, volleyball, etc are allowed. Might be a cutie or two there. After all, it is tourist season and they love to meet local girls.

Day 15-If there's a cool guy in the organization you signed up for the other day, and you have a list of member phone numbers, call him to see when you're meeting again. Feeling bold? Ask for a ride to the next event. Oh crap, that’s right. I was supposed to look for an organization to join. Forgot about that. Does hosting speed dating parties count—because I do that! Have a party tonight. I’ll take a look around at the eligible bachelors as they come in and see if one catches my eye.

Day 16-Head to a bar on an off night. Bypassing the weekend mobs will give you better luck connecting with guys. This one is very true. Especially if you go with only one female friend. Men are freaked out by too many women gathered together. It’s intimidating to try to break into that circle. Haven’t done this one in a while. Maybe after the gym tonight I’ll stop at Bru’s Room and see what’s going on. On second thought, I think I’ll go home first and take a shower. Oh, there’s another email from waiter boy. May have to give him a shot afterall.

Day 17-Log on and check whether your blasts from the past replied. If so, follow up by suggesting you get together to catch up. This whole looking-for-blasts-from-the-past thing didn’t work. I have pages on both Myspace and Facebook and couldn’t find either of the guys I was looking for. My own fault though….leave it to me to know men with such generic names as Brian Stevenson and Russ Jones. Both are in South Florida in case anyone knows them??? For some reason I can’t seem to get either one off my mind.

Day 18-Wherever you are, position yourself by a cute guy talking to his buddies. As soon as there's an opener -- like they're discussing the Cubs and you're from Chicago -- pipe up. Say, "I couldn't help but overhear. I'm a huge Cubs fan. What did you think of the game?" Isn’t this one a given? I mean, I do this all the time. Mostly because I like to meet new people (especially cuties), have a big mouth and if they are talking sports, I have to jump in. Can’t control myself. However, football is my sport. Dolphins are my team so trust me, that provides hours of conversation since they’re so bad this year. I don’t need a specific day to use this approach. It’s nothing new for me.

Day 19-Throw a cocktail party, inviting several friends. Ask each guest to bring one new person. Even if you don't meet any prospects, it'll expand your social world -- someone is bound to know available guys. I love this idea. I started to talk it over with my circle of friends. So far, nobody can think of anyone they would bring. We will continue to work on this though. Love parties and when the object is to bring someone new….how much fun is that? Yep, gonna get to work on that one and get everyone on board.

Day 20-On your way home from work, stop in at a spot you've never been to -- a coffee place, for instance -- and start a convo with a guy. It's often easier to step out of your comfort zone and make a move when in a novel environment. Sounds good in theory. Does anyone really have time for this? Maybe that’s the problem. Need to slow down a bit and take a look around. The gym will still be there tomorrow if I miss it today, right?

No comments: