"God Bless the Dream, the Dreamer and the Result." 

Monday, February 25, 2008

Are You a VIP? How KIND are you?

Written by: Lisa Minns
Edited by Kate Kliner
Joboja Staff Writers

Not too long ago, I accepted an invitation to join in on an event that was being offered by the South Florida VIP’s. For those of you who may not be familiar with this organization, South Florida VIP’s is a networking group as well as a social network. Monies raised benefit KIND (Kids in New Directions). For this particular event, there was a scavenger hunt. Yep, you read that right. A scavenger hunt. Get a list, find stuff and off you go. This scavenger hunt started at Dada’s and ended with an after party at Deluxe. I was discussing the possibility of going to this event with my friend, Tammy. She was a little cautious about it all. She had the feeling that maybe it wasn’t for us since after all, we did scavenger hunts when we were in middle school. She had a very good point. However, here’s how I looked at it... it was a fun night out, an opportunity to do some good and give to a childrens' charity and I also figured it would be a great opportunity to meet new men! Follow me. Seriously, follow me on this. Half of the battle is working up the nerve to talk to someone new and actually going up to them to talk to him. What is better than a competition? Men are competitive by nature. What's better than to have a list of random items to find? See a cutie? Ask him if he has something that’s on the list.

So, the night of the hunt arrived. I was ready. My friends were ready. We were sooo gonna win this thing. I had talked to all of my friends who worked on Atlantic Avenue and they were fully prepared to help us and only us. What’s that you say? Not fair? Whatever. I’m a woman. We don’t cheat, we find loopholes. Then the hunt began. We were split into teams and given an envelope. In the envelope was a list of rules and a list of questions to answer. Say what? Questions? I so didn’t bargain for that one. We had to figure out a question about each location, go that location, answer subsequent questions about it and then grab something such as matches, napkins, etc. that would prove we had been there. I’m not very good at riddles, but I’m from Delray Beach through and through and I hate to loose. Bring it on. Our team consisted not only of myself and 2 friends but also of several people I had never meant. No worries. They were very nice people.

So we went on the hunt. I have to say that we were doing a very good job of working together, solving the riddles, answering the questions. Things were going well. Except for that whole pie question. No, it wasn’t written like pie the food, it was written like pie the mathematical symbol. We finally figured out the answer was Sazio... as in pizza pie. Yep, big smack on the forehead for that one. Then there was Hurricane’s. I know the owner, Pasquale so not a big deal. Until I walked in and was face to face with the ex’s parents. This was the ex that broke up with me after a year of dating by text message. Wasn’t quite expecting to see his parents. Hadn’t seen them in over a year. However, this was not the time or the place for the ensuing confrontation. Get the answers and keep moving. This was a timed contest. Did I mention that I hate to lose?

We made it through all 11 locations. We were feeling pretty confident in our answers. Met some very cool people along the way and made new friends within our group. Things were good. Did we get proof from each location that we had been there? What? No? Time to split up and go get them. Hurry! Got the proof and met back at Deluxe well within the hour and a half time limit. We so rock. Those bottle of champagne are so ours. Chatted it up at Deluxe with other scavenger hunt players and things were going well. Until one guy spilled his drink... all down the front of my jeans. No worries, they are jeans, they will dry. When I told him that next drink was on him, he laughed and walked away. He had a lot to learn. Then the moment of truth came: the winners announcement. Third place goes too... team number four! What? That was us. What do you mean third place? Okay, so I know it’s only a game and it’s for charity. Did I mention how much I hate to lose? We took it in stride though. We did it for fun.

All in all, the South Florida VIP’s experience was a very positive one. The fact that it benefited KIND made it even better. Think about it, as a single, on a normal weekend night out, you will spend quite a few dollars, talk to people who may or may not be single and roam from bar to bar….why not do all of that for a children’s charity? Do something good with your time and money. While most of the people at the scavenger hunt seemed to already know each other, not once did my friends and I feel like outsiders. People continuously talked to us and made us feel welcome. Well, except for the drink spilled down my leg. I’m gonna let that one go though. Check out their calendar at www.sfvips.com and I’ll see you at the next event because I am definitely going back!

How was your Valentine’s Day? Not what you wanted it to be? Meeting “the one” takes time. Sometimes up to four minutes! RSVP to a HurryDate party today at www.hurrydate.com. Visit me at www.myspace.com/lisahurrydateboca.

No comments: